She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.

She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.
She may not have our eyes, but she has our heart.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Mama/Baba to Mommy/Daddy

It seems that this week "Baba" has moved to "Daddy". So precious, but either way it is. It just seems so sweet to hear because it's new. I seem to be becoming "Mommy" instead of "Mama" also. It's like you are flying through developmental milestones that you needed to go through with us. Like getting a toy kitchen last Christmas - It was the best thing ever to you and then last week we passed it on to another adoptive family to enjoy. We are going through some tough times with taking two steps forward and one back with attachment, but it's a process. It will take time. Our love came instantly and yours is growing. Each time I hear "mommy", I smile - BIG. I will admit the ONLY time I grimace at the word is when you're in the bathroom. I don't do well sitting on the side of the bathtub for 30 minutes, but info love our conversations, so it balances out. You love to have me talk to you while you're bored for so long. Haha!!!   You've recently really taken to working in the kitchen with me. I taught you how to use a knife to cut up the cucumbers and potatoes for supper last night. You loved helping Anna and I. It really did help me to get singer on the table more quickly! Also, something else that's been changing - you and Eli bicker SO MUCH, but I walk you through apologizing and forgiving, so that's a good lesson as well. In the last three weeks, you haven't bathed or showered alone. Eli puts on his swimming trunks and you will put on your swimming bottoms and in you both go! You both love each other and are best friends, but oh my goodness it's been a lot of bickering.  Sometimes even when I hear it, I just giggle - siblings through and through!!!!  We have also been trying to work on realizing what is pretend and what is real. You saw a dinosaur on a movie and it scared you to death. We explained they were extinct and you said "that's not true"!!!!!! You were terrified and slept with us that night - right under my ribs. :-). We are gearing up for your next surgery (and hopefully the last one until you're a teen). They will be taking bone from your hip and grafting it into your palate to anchor your teeth and nasal cavity. It will fill the gaping hole. They will also close your back palate during the same surgery. This was a miracle to get done! I am going to take some credit and say they through very diligent efforts, Mommy got this approved! I worked my tail off fighting for you!!!! The back palate is your throat. When you make certain sounds, the back palate should close tightly against the back of the throat and yours is still not able to fully close tightly, so we hear lots of air coming out of your nose during those sounds. Your speech has gotten a lot WORSE, but it's because you got a palate expander in January and it's opening up the hope wider and wider to prepare for surgery. You will start orthodontics in January 2017.  It's been a rocky road, and you'll still have a long journey ahead, but it's still a beautiful one. I love you. Now to head back and kiss you and your siblings who are sleeping.

Sleep tight,
    Mommy ❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment