She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.

She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.
She may not have our eyes, but she has our heart.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Run home

Sitting in a bath full of suds and looking up at me with the most adorning look as I wash you made me utter the words under my breath "we could've missed this." You're ours - forever. Thank you, God!

Today,  I revel in something so special.

Most people only see your silly, sarcastic, fun side. Your family gets to see many other sides.  Today while I was bathing you, I got to see my favorite side; the transparency.

As I scrubbed your hair, we talked about family, as we do a lot, to practice good connective parenting. As I rinsed your hair with a cup, I said "oooh, a rainstorm! You are  running and it is soaking your hair, clothes and skin! Where are you running?"   I just knew you  would say "SkyZone, the Zoo or some place alike."  Instead, you said with eyes closed, looking upward, "HOME!"
It took a lot of time for you to speak with such walls down. What an HONOR it is for you to want to run into our arms, instead of away. As much time as we spend at the house, it's still your favorite.  We are so happy that you love us so. When everyone was tucked in tonight, we snuck you back to the living room to spend some extra minutes alone with us (we do this with the others too, but no one knows when this happens). You got my favorite blanket and chose me to snuggle with. You looked up at me and said "thank you for adopting me, Mama."  So many people told us that children aren't thankful to be adopted. We know we would choose you a thousand times and can't imagine not having you, but I do wish your life would've been different and you wouldn't have had the trauma or abandonment and adoption. I wish that because that's what love wishes. But, you proved all those people wrong. You are thankful. We are so happy you are with us. You are praying at dinner now more often. Two nights ago your prayer was this :

"Dear Lord,
Thank you for our food,  our family, our freedom and that we can homeschool. Thank you for my sister, Evie. Please watch over her and bring her home. Please be with my other sister and brothers and mama and daddy. Help me to make right choices. In Jesus' name, I pray, Amen. "

What wisdom you have and such bravery. We just recovered after your urinary surgery. You had a c-section cut and a drain coming out of each end of the incision. You had a penrose drain and a Foley as well. Rough surgery, but you took it like a champ. The doctors and nurses are always amazed.  Nurse Jessica fell in love with you. You talk about wanting to be a doctor almost daily. After her hearing that you watch real surgeries on YouTube, she gifted you her real stethoscope!!!! You wore it tonight to perform a miraculous, life-saving surgery while in your white medical coat and white surgical gear.

Thank you for being you, Joy. Thank you for your silliness, sarcasm, wit, wisdom, tenderness and occasional transparency.

Home, even in your dreams, you want to run home. We couldn't be more blessed with you in our lives... all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment