She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.

She may not have our eyes, but she will always have our heart.
She may not have our eyes, but she has our heart.

Monday, August 4, 2014

God knew

I have always known that I wanted to adopt a child. It was one of my childhood dreams. When Justin and I married, I told him it was my dream. We became excited to have biological children, so adoption wasn't really thought about too much. It never felt like the timing was right.  I would think about it off and on, but not with the same urgency I felt as an adolescent. We went on a mission trip this June to Houck, Arizona along with 20 others from our church. Houck is located on the Navajo reservation. The world on the reservation, or "the rez" as the locals call it, beholds many demons and a darkness clouded by tradition.  We ministed to the Navajo all week by hosting a VBS and building a bathroom for the church. The "skin walkers" started many "moons ago" as traditional navajo living in the mountains. They would skin a coyote, for instance, and claim that they would receive the power of slyness. These skin walkers still walk at night to many homes. They beat on the hogan walls  and scare children and adults alike. The next day, we would see weary children come to VBS because they were hiding from skin walkers the night before.  This trip was life changing for Justin and I. The Navajo started to trust us. We comforted them.  Many came to know Christ that week, some in our house next to the mission church. You could see the darkness diminish and the light flood inside of them. They are still faithful to church thus far.  Many children lived in proverished conditions, yet were so content. I brought that contentment home. As far as I am concerned it was a gift from them to me.  My heart became so burdened in Arizona that adoption was all I could think about.  I was zoned out. I absolutely knew God was talking to me. He laid it on my heart heavily. I will never forget the feeling on my chest with an empty feeling in it. He knew that Justin and I could love a child that has almond eyes, coarse hair, darker skin, or any difference.  I approached Justin, exhausted from fighting God. I blurted out "I think we should adopt, can we"?  He immediately answered yes.  The timing was right. God knew. We thought we were finished having children. We shortly met with Raymond, the navajo pastor about adopting a navajo.  After a few phone calls, we were informed you had to be navjo to adopt. It was a bridge. It was a bridge to what was meant for us. After returning to home, we researched endlessly all avenues to adopt. We chose China. Anna , Ezra, and Eli were all on board after about twenty four hours of thinking.  We have already been busy with the process. We were officially accepted to adopt from CCAI August 1, 2014.   The paperwork will take approximately six months to complete. We will have to get approval from the US to adopt and ultimately China. The prayers aren't over. This is all a risk, but a risk worth taking.  Every life is precious, whether it is a USA child or Chinese. All children deserve a home with loving parents.  This little girl is growing in our hearts already.  She has no idea the love that she will receive.  Please pray for our journey. Please pray for the child. We asked for a girl between ages two and five. She is probably (hopefully) already born. This gives me cold chills. She is out there.....waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment